Sunday, April 22, 2012

(Extended) Readathon Update: Three Books Completed!

After I extended my own personal Readathon this morning, I got right to the business (or pleasure, rather) of reading. I needed to make breakfast, etc., so I listened to an audiobook rather than sitting stationary with a book in my lap. I began listening to Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian a week or so ago. At just under five hours, it wasn't a long listen at all.

I listened to the last two hours last night and this morning. I have to say, I'm not sure why I'd never read this book. Although I can't see teaching it in the middle school classroom -- it's a bit PG-13 in places -- I think it's an excellent addition to my classroom listening library. I have older 8th graders who would love it, and who would learn a lot from it. Life lessons, lessons about cultures unfamiliar to them. I can't wait to recommend this book to some of them! The male narrator coupled with the basketball scenes make it an important book that even my reluctant boy readers will enjoy.

I'm onto the next book now. I haven't decided if I'm leaning towards Gumbo Tales (foodie nonfiction) or This Is Where I Leave You (literary fiction that is both hilariously funny and deeply sad). I suppose I'll let you know when I post my next update!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails