Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wordle Is a Thing of Beauty

Wordle: e.e. cummings "somewhere i have never travelled"
I have many book reviews and bookish posts to write, but tonight I wanted to share something fun that will have you playing with words for hours (or several minutes anyway). The website Wordle will take any text you type in and make a "word cloud" out of it. For example, my art from e.e. cummings' poem "somewhere I have never travelled":

I know it's difficult to see, but trust me -- it's awesome! (And if you click on the image, you'll be taken to the much better, larger, and even viewable version.) I must say, it's a simply marvelous blending of poetry, word play, and art, all rolled up into one. To make one of your own, go to Wordle, click on "Create," enter your own text, and then "Randomize" until you see something you like. You can also choose your font, color, size, etc., but I've had enormous amounts of fun just letting Wordle decide for me.

(Wouldn't this be a perfect Christmas gift? You could make one for Christmas, or for a specific person -- any word entered multiple times will appear bigger than other words. My creative juices are flowing! Wordle lets you print, so framing would be the next logical step in my opinion... Think of all the great possibilities.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails