Monday, July 12, 2010

Southern Festival of Books Countdown Begins

The Southern Festival of Books is by far one of my favorite weekends of the year. For one thing, it usually falls on my birthday weekend. For another, it is a book lover's dream. Years past have brought southern literary masters such as Clyde Edgerton, Kaye Gibbons, Lee Smith, Rick Bragg, Kathryn Stockett, and Silas House. I've gone every year since high school with only a couple of exceptions.

Each summer I wait with excitement for Humanities Tennessee's first publishing of the author list for that October's festival. The author list was posted today, and includes many authors I'm excited about. Last year festival organizers held a Twitter contest in the weeks leading up to the event. They've already been busy on the social network this year sharing recent stories in the media and listing food vendors confirmed for the event.

Between now and then I will spend hours researching the authors, reading their books, and whittling down my list of must-attend events. Each Monday between now and the event I've decided to share a Southern Festival of Books post reviewing a book by a SFB author, spotlighting a particular author's career, or focusing on an aspect of the festival. I can't wait to attend SFB 2010, and I hope you'll consider visiting Nashville for this bookish event, whose purpose is to "celebrate the written word."

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for our girls' trip to the SFB this year!! Lee Smith is back!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails