Rules of this survey - no two answers can be the same book and all books must be fiction.
- Book next to your bed right now: 14 by J. T. Ellison
- Favorite series: There are literally too many to pick one. The answer would be different depending on what I've read recently. I love funny Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series... I love Sue Grafton's Alphabet series.... I love Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series (and really I would include all of his novels, as they all work together). Charlaine Harris's vampire series (HBO's True Blook predecessor). Lisa Lutz' Spellman series. Patricia Cornwell & Sara Paretsky. Wow. I could continue...
- Favorite book: Lee Smith's Fair and Tender Ladies (But even that doesn't prompt me to re-read it. I NEVER re-read.)
- The one book you would have with you if stranded on a desert island: A short story collection by Ellen Gilchrist. I always find new characters or interesting lines, no matter how many times I crack open one of her books. (*Note: I rarely read a short story collection from front to back. Therefore, when I revisit them, I am not re-reading; just continuing to read.)
- Book/series you would take with you on a long flight: The newest _____ (any series I've continued reading). Again, I don't like to re-read!
- Worst book you were made to read in school: Dickens or Beowulf. Ugh.
- Book that everyone should be made to read in school: The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
- Book that everyone should read, period: Clay's Quilt by Silas House
- Favorite character: I'm not sure how I could ever, ever answer this. For simplicity's sake, I'll go with Ave Maria Mulligan MacChesney from Adriana Trigiani's Big Stone Gap series. But there are SO many more.
- Best villain: Serial killer Gretchen Lowell from Chelsea Cain's Heart series
- Favorite concept series: The Berenstain Bears books by Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Favorite invented world: Charlaine Harris's alternate Louisiana universe in which all things vampire, were, and fairy are real.
- Most beautifully written book: O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
- Funniest book: Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster (or anything by her, Chelsea Handler, a lot of David Sedaris...)
Which of the above questions was hardest to answer? All of them. I love so many different books & authors, it is so hard to choose one answer for each question. And as you can see, I didn't really accomplish that.