Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Literary Road Trip: William Faulkner's Rowan Oak


I know, I know. I keep promising posts about Africa... Once again, I will say: they are coming. But for today, a trip down memory lane to a road trip I took with my mom several years ago.

When I got home yesterday from Africa, my soon-to-be hubby had an amazing surprise for me: a new laptop! The first new laptop I've ever had. (Previously, I have had several wonderful hand-me-downs.) I am currently running on about five hours of sleep within the last 48 hours -- jet lag is real! I've spent my time since I woke up at 3:30am this morning uploading old pictures onto my new computer.

I discovered tons of great photographs, especially some I've meant to share on the blog for a long time -- I just didn't know where they were!

In high school, I was first introduced to William Faulkner through The Sound and the Fury. I learned to appreciate that novel, even if it will never be a favorite of mine. After that, I read "A Rose for Emily," which I thought was amazing. My mom and I traveled to the southern literary mecca that is Oxford, Mississippi, several years ago to attend the Oxford Conference for the Book.

While in Oxford -- for a book conference, especially -- we had to visit both Faulkner's home Rowan Oak and the penultimate southern book store, Square Books. Rowan Oak was closed to inside tours for renovations, but I took dozens of pictures of the grounds where Faulkner lived and wrote:

Rowan Oak through the trees

Rowan Oak out building

Rowan Oak out building


Rowan Oak grapevines

Rowan Oak stables

Rowan Oak from the side

Rowan Oak rock garden

Rowan Oak pebble path
I also found pictures from Savannah of both Flannery O'Connor's childhood home and the Mercer Williams house, which was the setting for John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. So those will be coming soon on another Literary Road Trip post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails