Friday, May 27, 2011

Book News: School's Out, Keith Richards Wins Audie, and Summer Reading Lists

I want to bring you a thoughtful, dense version of book news today, but the truth is one thing is echoing in my mind: summersummersummersummersummersummer. That's right -- "Schooooool's out. For. Summerrrr!" More, you say?



Yes, yes, that is the Muppets with Alice Cooper. Fast forward to right at one minute to hear what I've been hearing in my head all day. It is the last day of school, and my mind is pretty much consumed with only that!

So, you see. It's quite impossible for me to bring you well-thought-out, precisely planned Book News today. As for some short bits, here ya go:

Although I'm not a true Rolling Stones fan, I think my next Audible purchase may be Keith Richards' Life. The audio version of this book won the Audiobook of the Year for 2011. Read by Richards, Johnny Depp, and Joe Hurley, how could it be anything but fabulous? (via Devourer of Books)

From my NPR-listening commute this week, Augusten Burroughs' mother and brother speak up with their versions of the truth about their family history. Burroughs came onto the literary memoir scene several years ago with Running With Scissors. Now we hear other sides of the story from two new memoirs. (via NPR)

List-y love is budding in my heart for lists of summer reading possibilities. USA Today is leading the pack with an eleven-category list released this week for anyone and everyone. Check it out and make a quick reference for your beach and backyard reading.

And another list! LA Times book blog Jacket Copy's summer reading list includes over 200 books. Then they asked some authors what to read for Memorial Day, too. Be still my heart.

Lots of people in the book world enjoyed BEA and the Book Blogger Convention this week in New York City. Maybe someday for me!

This weekend -- my first weekend of summer -- I will be watching softball, hanging out at the pool (which opens tomorrow), relaxing, and reading. I'm still working on learning my Nook and reading Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris on it. On Audible, I'm still listening to Kathy Reichs' YA novel Virals. In paper book form, I'm reading both Cathy Holton's Summer in the South and Jefferson Bass's The Bone Yard.

Have an excellent weekend, and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails