Saturday, March 6, 2010

McKay Used Book Trip = Books, Books, & More Books

So my mom was in Chattanooga this weekend for the TNTESOL conference, and she just happened to wander in to McKay's for some books (and by "happened to wander in" I mean completely planned the entire thing and convinced other book-minded conference goers to ride along, as well). She called me to ask if there was anything I would like her to look for, and I asked her to check on their supply of Kathy Reichs novels. I read the first Tempe Brennan series book a month or so ago, and my library has a devastatingly low number of the rest of them. As a result, I haven't been able to read the second or subsequent books yet, and it's pretty much killing me. When I find a series I like, I usually read it as quickly as I can get the books in order (and that part is IMPORTANT!).

Photo courtesy of http://mckaybooks.com

Anyway. Mom found the next two or three books and bought them for me to read. I scored:
  • Death du Jour
  • Deadly Decisions
  • (and possibly -- not sure how many she got) Fatal Voyage
Well, this weekend, my boyfriend and I went to Nashville for a night away and to watch Vanderbilt play their last home basketball game this season. After the game, I could not get McKay's out of my head... So I asked if he minded a "quick" trip to their Nashville location. He did not, of course, so we made a "fast" hour-run inside. My brain did a happy dance, and I came home with:
  • The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff
  • 14 by Nashville writer J.T. Ellison
  • 3 'Body Farm' series books by Jefferson Bass (Carved in Bone, Flesh and Bone, and The Devil's Bones)
  • Forty Words for Sorrow by Giles Blunt (I wanted to buy his latest, but couldn't bring myself to do that until I had read the previous titles in the series about police detective John Cardinal. So this is the first.)
  • The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton
  • Bobbie Faye's Very (Very, Very, Very) Bad Day by Toni McGee Causey
I am in a mystery mood, if you can't tell. And I can hardly ever pass up Tennessee writers or New Orleans/ Lousiana writers... Bass & Ellison combine the best of both worlds (mystery writers from Tennessee), and Causey's book is a mystery-sort-of novel set in Lousiana. So I'm quite happy with my purchases. Watch soon for reviews of them all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fellow book blogger from Chattanooga - McKays is an obsession! I go once a week and rarely leave with less than 10 books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Chattanooga for almost 5 years (my English degree is from UT Chattanooga). I LOVE it & miss it :) I'm following your blog now -- looks like we have similar taste in books. Looking forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails